Keep Moving Forward - 2017

Entering my third year as Archivist at the University of St. Francis, I have new responsibilities in the library and goals for the archives.

A Quick Recap

College of St. Francis cheerleaders practicing in hallway
ca. 1980-1989
At the beginning of last year my student worker, Adjo Tameklo, and history intern, Madison Bowie, worked together to add metadata for over 500 new images for the digital collection, Sharing Our Past, A Visual History. Many of the pictures depict USF athletics from the 1970s-1980s, which had been a gap in the collection. I was also able to catalog 400 books from the Barbara A. Cooke Musical Theater Collection. Mostly autobiographies, biographies, and historical reference books the collection is available to search in the Brown Library catalog.

During the summer I became the Library Archives & Catalog Manager for the Brown Library. Along with managing the archives, I am now responsible for overseeing the cataloging and classification of materials for the general collection of the library. With my time split between two departments I have a greater understanding of the inner workings of the Brown Library and where improvements can be made.

In the Future

Even though I am in charge of the cataloging department, this blog will continue on a monthly basis and remain archives focused. Projects I hope to accomplish this year include: creating a new digital collection for the St. Joseph College of Nursing photographs. The collection is the most requested from researchers, faculty, and alumni and I think would be a welcomed addition to our digital collections. Once it goes live, I will let you know! 

I also plan on making the Barbara A. Cooke Musical Theater Collection more accessible. Complete lists of books, sheet music, LPs, and other records should be available later this year on the Archive website. I would also like to continue attending archive related conferences and events to showcase the variety of my profession. 

That’s all I have for now, so come back next month to see what we’re up to at USF!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

St. Joseph School of Nursing

Chicago Open Archives 2016

Rediscovering Chicago's Film History